For goods valued above £2500, you can insure your goods with Barbican Protect. This option will be made available at the insurance stage of the booking process, depending on the insurance value entered.
Please note: this is suitable for businesses/commercial goods only.
The value declared to be insured must be the total value of the goods being shipped. In the event of a claim, if the goods are not covered for the full value, any claim will be reduced by the percentage of underinsurance.
This page is intended for general guidance only. Please download a copy of the Barbican Protect policy (PDF) for the complete list of terms and conditions.
A minimum premium of £22 applies.
For general/non-fragile goods, when you make a claim, you will be required to pay a minimum excess of £250 or 1% of the sum insured (whichever is greater).
For fragile goods, you will be required to pay a minimum excess of £500 or 3% of the sum insured (whichever is greater).
Fragile goods include:
- Cathode ray tubes packed in cases or cartons or waterproof crates
- Crystal ware
- Domestic glass
- Furniture with glass
- Neon tubes
- Sanitary ware
For used goods a pre-condition report is required. We strongly recommend uploading photographs to show the condition of the goods prior to collection.
The following goods cannot be insured by Barbican Protect:
- Private/non-commercial shipments
- Aircraft and helicopters
- Alcoholic beverages
- Ammunitions, arms and designated explosives
- Bulk car contracts
- Cargo shipped in bulk
- Cash, bullion, deeds, bonds, stamps, medals and coins
- Cigarettes, cigars and tobacco
- Classic cars or any vehicle over 15 years of age
- Computer chips, memory boards and similar high value components
- Fishmeal and fish catch
- Furs, hides and skins
- Designer clothing (bearing the logo of a recognisable fashion designer)
- Heavy duty vehicles
- Heavy-lift, oversized, over weight and out of gauge cargo
- iPads and tablet computers
- Jewellery, watches, precious stones and metals
- Laptops, notebooks and handheld computers
- Mobile phones and sim cards
- Mp3 and mp4 players
- Ocean towage risks
- Peanuts (groundnuts)
- Perishable goods
- Project cargoes
- Refined sugar
- Project cargoes
- Satellite cargo business up to launch
- Steels, coils, bars, beams, billets and similar goods shipped in bulk
- Temperature-controlled goods
- Works of art, sculptures, fine art and similar interests
Antiques and collectibles are also excluded from cover for this policy (however, "special interest" spot rates are available - please contact us).
This list replaces the No Compensation list that applies for standard Transglobal Express insurance. However, our lists of Dangerous & Hazardous, Prohibited and Restricted items still apply, as per our carriers.
For other excluded classes of business and coverage, please download a copy of the Barbican Protect policy (PDF).
Goods cannot be insured for the following countries:
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of Congo
Republic of Guinea
Republic of Guinea-Bissau
Trinidad and Tobago
...and any other country where their local legislation decrees insurance must be affected locally.
Making a claim
Claims for loss or damage must be made directly to Barbican Protect. The following supporting documentation must be provided in the event of an insurance claim:
- Original certificate of insurance
- Original or copy shipping invoices, together with shipping specification and/or weight notes
- Original Bill of Lading and/or other contract of carriage
- Survey report or other documentary evidence to show the extent of the loss or damage
- Correspondence exchanged with the Carriers and other Parties regarding their liability for the loss or damage
- Landing account and weight notes at final destination
Payments for successful claims will be made in Pound Sterling (GBP).