For goods valued above £2500, you can insure your goods with Chaucer. This option will be made available at the insurance stage of the booking process, depending on the insurance value entered.
Please note: this is suitable for businesses/commercial goods only.
The value declared to be insured must be the total value of the goods being shipped. In the event of a claim, if the goods are not covered for the full value, any claim will be reduced by the percentage of underinsurance.
This page is intended for general guidance only. Please download a copy of the policy (PDF) for the complete list of terms and conditions.
A minimum premium of £37 applies.
For general/non-fragile goods, when you make a claim, you will be required to pay a minimum excess of £500 or 1% of the sum insured (whichever is greater).
For fragile goods, you will be required to pay a minimum excess of £500 or 3% of the sum insured (whichever is greater).
Fragile goods include:
- China and earthenware packed in cases or cartons or waterproof crates
- Domestic glass
- Neon tubes
Cover is not offered for our mail services: Asendia, Hermes, Landmark Global and USPS.
Cover for used goods is not available.
The following goods cannot be insured by Chaucer:
- Non-commercial goods/household goods & personal effects
- Alcoholic Beverages such as Wines, Spirits, Port, Champagne, Liqueurs and Liquor
- Ammunition, Arms and designated Explosives
- Bulk Car Contracts – New &Used
- Cargo shipped in bulk (not in containers or small items)
- Cash, bullion, deeds, bonds, stamps, medals, coins
- Cellphones & Laptop Computers
- Chinese Groundnuts
- Cigarettes, Cigars and Tobacco
- Classic Cars - or any vehicle over 12 years of age
- Computers - Desktop computers, servers and the like
- Computer Chips, memory boards & similar high value components
- Fishmeal & Fish catch
- Fresh foods & meat and other temperature controlled goods
- Fresh fruit & vegetables
- Frozen/refrigerated foods, including meat, fruit and vegetables
- Furs & designer clothing
- Handcrafted fragile goods (fragile goods as described in interest category.
- Heavy Duty Vehicles
- Heavylift Cargo
- Hides & Skins
- iPads and Tablet computers
- Jewellery, watches, trinkets, personal ornaments, precious stones & metals.
- Laptop, Notebook & Handheld, Tablet computers & similar items
- Mobile telephones and Sim cards
- Motor vehicles, motorbikes, motor homes and caravans
- Ocean Towage Risks
- Oversized, Over weight and Out of Gauge Cargo
- Perishables (such as Chilled meats, flowers, fresh fruits & vegetables)
- Personal Protection Equipment ( or “PPE”) described as protective clothing, face masks, face shields/ visors and goggles, and similar interests
- Plasma and LCD Screens
- Project Cargoes
- Prototypes, Architectural or designers models Refined sugar
- Satellite Cargo business up to launch
- Steel, coils, bars, beams, billets and similar Goods shipped in bulk
- Temperature controlled goods
- Temperature controlled Chemicals & Pharmaceutical Products
- Video Game Consoles, iPads, portable Music Players
- Works of Art, sculptures, fine art and similar interests
- Yachts and other boats unless new and in fully enclosed containers or trucks
This list replaces the No Compensation list that applies for standard Transglobal Express insurance. However, our lists of Dangerous & Hazardous, Prohibited and Restricted items still apply, as per our carriers.
For other excluded classes of business and coverage, please download a copy of the policy (PDF).
Goods cannot be insured for the following countries:
Central African Republic
Congo, Republic of
Crimea Region and Donetsk People's Republic (DPR)
Ivory Coast (Côte d'Ivoire)
Juan de Nova Island
Sao Tome & Principe
...and any other country where their local legislation decrees insurance must be affected locally, or on which the United Nations has imposed trading sanctions, without prior approval of Underwriters.
Making a claim
To make a claim for loss or damage, you must get in touch with us as soon as possible and within 3 days.
Claims can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us on 0151 305 3837 (Monday-Friday 8am-5:30pm) in the first instance.
The following supporting documentation must be provided in the event of an insurance claim:
- Original Certificate of Marine Cargo Insurance
- Commercial Invoice
- Packing List
- Bill of Lading / Air Waybill / Consignment Note (both sides)
- Signed delivery receipt
- Copies of letter(s) notifying carriers of the claim and holding them responsible
- Carrier's replies if available
- Photos of goods and packaging
- Repair cost estimate
Payments for successful claims will be made in Pound Sterling (GBP).